Tinbridge Hill in Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
When Lynchburg Was “Lunchburg”
“Lunchburg” became a nationally-recognized canteen (or refreshment) stop because most trains carrying troops from training camps in the South to embarkation ports in the North passed through Lynchburg.
Operating from its “hut” at the Southern Railway Station, the Canteen Service prepared and served light refreshments to servicemen, including coffee, tea, sandwiches, fruit, cakes, and candy. The all-volunteer staff handed out magazines, postcards, and cigarettes, comforted ill soldiers, and treated minor injuries in a small hospital rom. Their smiling faces and words of cheer boosted the morale of American troops headed to war “over there” in Europe.
Lucille McWane Watson,
Images courtesy of the Lynchburg Museum System
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Railroads & Streetcars • War, World I.
Location. 37° 24.859′ N, 79° 9.495′ W. Marker is in Tinbridge Hill in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Taylor Street and 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Life and Death (here, next to this marker); History of the Stapleton Station (here, next to this marker); Lynchburg, Virginia, 1864 (a few steps from this marker); Station House Museum (a few steps from this marker); Lynchburg’s First Public Hanging, 1830 (within shouting distance of this marker); Hermon Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chapel and Columbarium (about 300 feet away); Ivy Chapel Union Church (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tinbridge Hill.
Also see . . . Station House Museum. Old City Cemetery (Submitted on May 29, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 617 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 27, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.