Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
History of the Stapleton Station
1898 Station built by Chesapeake & Ohio Railway for $366.59, based on C&O “Standard Station No. 2” design.
1929 C&O Railway made the Station a non-agency station (without an agent) and discontinued its telegraph office.
Passengers and freight were still allowed, and the building was to be “kept in good and sanitary condition.”
1936 State Corporation Commission granted C&O Railway petition to abandon and dismantle the Station.
1937 Station bought by Wood L. Morcom, Sr., and moved across Galt’s Mill Road into a field on his property. The Station was used to store corn, grain, and hay for almost 50 years.
1984 Station purchased from Beulah B. Morcom Hudnall by C. Tad and Virginia Earley Holt.
January 1999 Station given to Southern Memorial Association by Virginia Earley Holt to be reconstructed in Old City Cemetery as “a permanent reminder of the importance the railroad industry played in the development of this area.”
March 1999 Station dismantled by Jon Cesafsky, Lone Jack Contracting, and put into storage.
May 2000 Jon
April 2001 Reconstruction completed.
Special thanks to Thomas W. Dixon, Jr., and Christopher W. Wiley for researching the early history of Stapleton Station at the C&O Historical Society Archives in Clifton Forge, Virginia.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1999.
Location. 37° 24.855′ N, 79° 9.493′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Taylor Street and 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lynchburg, Virginia, 1864 (here, next to this marker); When Lynchburg Was “Lunchburg” (here, next to this marker); Station House Museum (a few steps from this marker); Life and Death (a few steps from this marker); Veterans of World War I Buried in the Old City Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Genealogy of Lynchburg's Railroads (within shouting distance of this marker); The Duval Holt Orchard (within shouting distance of this marker); Lynchburg’s First Public Hanging, 1830 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
Also see . . . Station House Museum at the Old City Cemetery. (Submitted on May 29, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 533 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 29, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. 3. submitted on May 27, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.