Anacortes in Skagit County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
Depot, circa 1915
The Great Northern Depot was built in 1911 at 7th & R & served as a depot until 1973. This photo of the north side shows a steam engine, people on the platform, horse-&-buggy "hacks" for hire &, in the background, the original Methodist Episcopal Church (1892-1965).
Several railways served Anacortes in the early years. The Seattle & Northern Railroad provided the first passenger service in 1890; passenger service remained strong until the 1920s. But by 1930, railroads could no longer compete with automobile & bus transportation.
Today the building is listed on the National, State & Local Registers of Historic Places.
Anacortes Heritage Signs
This is one in a series of signs highlighting the history of Anacortes. The purpose of these signs is to increase awareness of & appreciation for the unique heritage of our community & the need to preserve it.
Photo courtesy of Anacortes Museum
[For more information, see] http://museum.cityofanacortes.org
Erected by Anacortes Museum & Maritime Center, Anacortes Parks & Recreation Dept.,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
Location. 48° 31.016′ N, 122° 36.549′ W. Marker is in Anacortes, Washington, in Skagit County. Marker is on R Avenue north of 7th Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 611 R Avenue, Anacortes WA 98221, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Powered by Steam (within shouting distance of this marker); Life Aboard a Snagboat (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Snagging (about 400 feet away); Paul & Nicolo Luvera (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles Pinson, USN (approx. 0.2 miles away); "Anne Curtis Bowman" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Causland Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Island Flyer (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Anacortes.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 485 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 31, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.