Marianna in Jackson County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Abstract Office
J.A. Ormond purchased the building in 1910 and moved it from Market Street to this location. Indexed records of all Jackson County real estate transactions from 1847 were housed here until 2000. The building was renovated to its present appearance in 1965 by Bob and Pat Crisp.
Florida Land Title and Trust Company was operated by J.A. Ormond and Robert F. Crisp in this building for almost 90 years.
Erected 2001 by the Chipola Historical Trust.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 30° 46.404′ N, 85° 13.613′ W. Marker was in Marianna, Florida, in Jackson County. Marker was on Jefferson StreetTouch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 2865 Jefferson Street, Marianna FL 32446, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Battle of Marianna (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Soldiers Monument (about 300 feet away); Cavalry Fight in Downtown Marianna (about 600 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); The Woman's Club (approx. ¼ mile away); Saint Luke Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marianna.
Regarding The Abstract Office. Dr. William S. Wilson arrived in Marianna during the 1840's and formed a partnership with Dr. William H. Whitehead in 1857. Although he participated in the fighting at the Battle of Marianna, he was able to elude capture and assisted tremendously in caring for the wounded afterward. Dr. Wilson was a member of Captain Jesse Norwood's Home Guards.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 5, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.