Rockdale in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In August 1877, Benjamin and Carrie Lowenstein's son Arthur died and was buried at this site. The following November, the Hebrew Benevolent Association bought the land for use as a dedicated Jewish burial ground. Among those interred here are Henry Goldsticker, a Confederate veteran, and Issac Crown, who died in a disastrous fire in 1888 at Rockdale's Mundine Hotel. One grave, that of Isaac Ensheimer, was placed in a separate part of the cemetery; Ensheimer committed suicide in 1884. The final burial occurred in 1939 and is that of Morris Cohn. The site is a reminder of Rockdale's diverse history.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1874.
Location. 30° 39.107′ N, 96° 59.913′ W. Marker is in Rockdale, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is at the intersection of East White Avenue and Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling west on East White Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockdale TX 76567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Railroads in Rockdale (approx. ¼ mile away); International & Great Northern Railroad Passenger Depot (approx. ¼ mile away); The Kay Theater (approx. 0.4 miles away); Matinee Musical Club (approx. half a mile away); La Recluta and La Escuelita (approx. 2.1 miles away); Mount Zion Baptist Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Site of the Mission San Ildefonso (approx. 6 miles away); Site of Mission San Francisco Xavier de Los Dolores (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockdale.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 14, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 446 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 14, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.