The Round Schoolhouse
Designed - 1821 - by Dr. John "Thunderbolt" Wilson.
Built in 1822 on this site deeded to the Town of Brookline by Peter Benson, for the sum of $5.00. Dr. Wilson, a former Scottish highwayman, taught the first term of 60 pupils who sat on benches.
The interior was completely renovated in 1910 and on March 5 1929 the building was turned over to the Town of Brookline for use as the town hall.
This building is thought to be the only round schoolhouse ever constructed in this country.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° 1.281′ N, 72° 36.25′ W. Marker is in Brookline, Vermont, in Windham County. Marker is on Grassy Brook Road, on the left when traveling north. The Round Schoolhouse is located across the street from the Municipal Offices of Brookline which are located at 734 Grassy Brook Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newfane VT 05345, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. West River Railroad (approx. 3˝ miles away);
Also see . . . Recalling the Adventures of Captain Thunderbolt - Culturelocker. (Submitted on June 13, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Additional keywords. Brookline Historical Association;Michael Martin;Lightfoot
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 12, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 537 times since then and 18 times this year. Last updated on June 16, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 12, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.