Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kalamazoo in Kalamazoo County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Kalamazoo College

 
 
Kalamazoo College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, May 30, 2014
1. Kalamazoo College Marker
Inscription.  The first classroom building for the Michigan and Huron Institute, now Kalamazoo College, was erected on this site between June and September of 1836. The charter bill for the school had been introduced in the Michigan Territorial Legislative Council on January 18, 1833, and signed into law by Governor George B. Porter on April 22, 1833. Village pledges supplied funds for the two-story frame classroom structure, which was the start of Michigan’s first church-related college.
 
Erected 1983 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number S101.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 18, 1833.
 
Location. 42° 17.167′ N, 85° 35.365′ W. Marker is in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in Kalamazoo County. Marker is at the intersection of S. Westnedge Avenue (State Highway 331) and W. Walnut Street, on the left when traveling south on S. Westnedge Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kalamazoo MI 49007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within
Kalamazoo College Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, May 30, 2014
2. Kalamazoo College Marker
At the southeast corner of the intersection
of S. Westnedge Avenue (M-331 South) and W. Walnut Street
Click or scan to see
this page online
walking distance of this marker. Kalamazoo School Case (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Women's Club in Michigan (approx. ¼ mile away); South Street Historic District (approx. ¼ mile away); Lincoln at Kalamazoo (approx. 0.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Epaphroditus Ransom (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lincoln's August 1856 Speech in Kalamazoo (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kalamazoo Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kalamazoo.
 
Also see . . .  Kalamazoo College - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 18, 2014.)
 
Additional commentary.
1. Original marker
This is a replacement marker. The original marker was placed in 1957 and read:
"This school, Baptist in origin, was chartered in 1833 by the Territory of Michigan as the Michigan and Huron Institute and held its first classes in 1836. Instruction of college level has been given here longer than any other Michigan school. In 1845 the present campus was purchased. The right to confer degrees was granted in 1855. This pioneer school has won national renown as a liberal arts college with special honor in teaching of the sciences."
— Dunbar, W. F. (1967). Michigan Historical Markers. Michigan Historical
First Site of Kalamazoo College image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane Hall, May 30, 2014
3. First Site of Kalamazoo College
Commission.
    — Submitted January 27, 2022, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 18, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 18, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=74525

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 25, 2022