Near Stewartstown in Monongalia County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
“The Baptist Church at the Forks of Cheat”
Established November 1775
First meeting house erected of logs on the highest point in the graveyard near Cedar. Second meeting house was built in 1803 after the first one was consumed by fire about 200 feet south of the first church of "the following dimentions that is to say, square loggs of 28 feet in length, 22 feet in breadth, and twelve loggs high."
The church is now located 1½ miles east of this tablet on County Road.
Erected 1928 by Clarence B. Dille, on Nov. 5.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1803.
Location. 39° 41.545′ N, 79° 54.883′ W. Marker is near Stewartstown, West Virginia, in Monongalia County. Marker is at the intersection of Point Marion Road (U.S. 119) and Stewartstown Road (County Road 65), on the left when traveling south on Point Marion Road. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stewartstown (a few steps from this marker); Joseph Snider (approx. 1.6 miles away); Mason-Dixon Line (approx. 2 miles away); West Virginia / Pennsylvania (approx. 2 miles away); Fort Martin (approx. 2.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Martin (approx. 2.4 miles away); Easton Roller Mill (approx. 2.8 miles away); George Washington Stopped Here (approx. 3 miles away).
Also see . . . Entry in the West Virginia Encyclopedia. “The historic congregation was organized the night of Sunday, November 7, 1775, by Rev. John Corbly and 12 charter members. The small, hand-written, parchment minute book is the church’s oldest existing artifact. Other antiques include a silver communion pitcher, an hourglass, and two 1840 communion cups. Supposedly the hourglass was to time long-winded preachers.” (Submitted on June 19, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 632 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on June 19, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 19, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 5. submitted on November 29, 2019, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.