Hopkins in Allegan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Welcome to the Village of Hopkins
From Hopkinsburg to Hopkins
It is said that Hopkins was named after Jonathan Round’s young son Oziel Hopkins Round. Oziel was the first settler to die in the territory. Nine men of the territory put names of their choice on slips of paper and put them in a hat. The slip of paper with the name Hopkins was pulled out of the hat, thus naming the territory Hopkins.
Some thirty years after Jonathan settled in Hopkins, the Kalamazoo branch of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad went through the area that we know today as Hopkins. Industry and trade came to the area and soon Hopkins (Hopkinsburg) was a dwindling community and the new Hopkins was a booming village. Its leading places of business were: a hotel, sawmill, broom handle factory, three general stores, a harness shop, a tin shop, blacksmith shops, a wagon shop, millinery stores and a
Hopkins was hit by several fires, the Creamery explosion in 1919, the business district fire in 1920 and the Hotel fire in 1923. Hopkins has also endured several floods, the latest in 1997.
Thank you for visiting the Village of Hopkins!
Erected by The Allegan County Tourist Council and Charles and Betsy Hill.
Location. 42° 37.436′ N, 85° 45.699′ W. Marker is in Hopkins, Michigan, in Allegan County. Marker is at the intersection of E. Main Street and Franklin Street, on the right when traveling east on E. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hopkins MI 49328, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hopkins Township Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); U.S.S. Maine Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Early History of Shelbyville (approx. 6.8 miles away); Henika Ladies Library (approx. 6.9 miles away); Welcome to Wayland (approx. 7 miles away); James E. Mahan Park (approx. 8 miles away); Allegan County (approx. 8.1 miles away); Allegan Civil War Monument (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hopkins.
More about this marker. The marker is at Site #24 of the Allegan County Heritage Trail (driving tour).
Also see . . . Allegan County Heritage Trail Driving Tour (Submitted on June 20, 2014.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Welcome to the Village of Hopkins.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 20, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on June 20, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.