Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wirth, Hammel and Co., Horse Stables
Historic Third Ward
National Register of Historic Places
Wirth, Hammel & Co., Horse Stables
Designed by H.C. Koch
Tour Site 50
Erected by Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure. (Marker Number 50.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 43° 1.919′ N, 87° 54.434′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is on North Broadway, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 167 N Broadway, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works (a few steps from this marker); Mrs. Isabella Ryder Building (a few steps from this marker); Milwaukee Fire Dept. Engine Co. #10 (within shouting distance of this marker); O.R. Pieper Co. Grocers (within shouting distance of this marker); Third Ward Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); American Candy Company Phoenix Knitting Works (within shouting distance of this marker); Clemens H. Kalvelage Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Regarding Wirth, Hammel and Co., Horse Stables. Wirth, Hammel and Co. hired architect H.C. Koch to design this horse stable in 1892. They were considered to be one of the largest providers of draft, saddle and carriage horses to the Midwest as well as to the leading lumbermen of the region. In 1936, an agent for Kingsbury Breweries opened a beer depot at the site. From the 1960s to the present it has had assorted warehouse uses. Renovated in 2005, national retailer Design Within Reach opened their doors in 2006.
- Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 372 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.