Conneaut Lake in Crawford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Ice Industry and the Ice Houses
The Conneaut Lake Ice Company was founded in 1880 at the end of the canal era, and as railroads were becoming a dominate method of transportation. Ice harvesting, storage, and shipping was an important business for Evansburg, now Conneaut Lake Borough, employing 200 men in the winter and 100 during the summer. The Meadville and Linesville Railroad transported 100,000 tons annually from Conneaut Lake.
The business flourished until the 1920's when electric refrigeration replaced blocks of ice. The last ice was harvested for the Conneaut Lake Ice Company
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 41° 36.201′ N, 80° 18.044′ W. Marker is in Conneaut Lake, Pennsylvania, in Crawford County. Marker can be reached from Grand Army of Republic Highway (U.S. 6). This marker and 2 others are located in Ice House Park in Conneaut Lake Borough. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Conneaut Lake PA 16316, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Railroads (within shouting distance of this marker); Geology (within shouting distance of this marker); To the Memory of the Brave (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Tablet (about 600 feet away); This Carousel (approx. 2.3 miles away); Blue Streak (approx. 2.3 miles away); Erie Extension Canal (approx. 4.3 miles away); a different marker also named Erie Extension Canal (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Conneaut Lake.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 348 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.