Morgantown in Monongalia County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
West Virginia University
Erected 1964 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 7, 1867.
Location. 39° 38.837′ N, 79° 58.665′ W. Marker is in Morgantown, West Virginia, in Monongalia County. Marker is at the intersection of Monongahela Boulevard (West Virginia Route 19) and Patterson Drive (West Virginia Route 705), on the right when traveling south on Monongahela Boulevard. It is just before the visitor’s parking lot for the Core Arboretum, which can only be reached when traveling southbound on US 19. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morgantown WV 26505, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Core Arboretum (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Core Arboretum (within shouting Guthrie Loop Area (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty Island Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Dawn Redwood (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wagon Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hot Rod Hundley (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morgantown.
Also see . . . Wikipedia Entry for WVU History. “The first campus building was constructed in 1870 as University Hall, and was renamed Martin Hall in 1889 in honor of West Virginia University’s first president, the Rev. Alexander Martin of Scotland. After the Woodburn Seminary building was destroyed by fire in 1873, the centerpiece of what is now Woodburn Hall was completed in 1876, under the name New Hall. The name was changed to University Building in 1878, when the College of Law was founded as the first professional school in the state of West Virginia. The precursor to Woodburn Circle was finished in 1893 when Chitwood Hall (then Science Hall) was constructed on the bluff’s north (Submitted on June 20, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 422 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 20, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on May 3, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 29, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. 8, 9. submitted on April 27, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.