Utica in Venango County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Former location of a 262 foot, two span pratt through truss bridge constructed in 1866 by the Smith Bridge Company of Toledo, Ohio. The structure was a good example of late nineteenth century bridge technology, including pinned truss connections and stone abutments. The bridge was built in response to a period of rapid growth in Utica Borough due to the discovery of oil and gas resources in the surrounding area. The bridge was determined eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places in 1998. A plaque formerly located on the end portal is incorporated into the design of the present bridge.
Former location of:
• Two span pratt through truss bridge
• Built in 1866
• Constructed by the Smith Bridge Company of Toledo, Ohio
Replaced in 2001
Erected by Pennsylvania Department of Transportation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 41° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Utica PA 16362, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Adams Homestead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Carlton Bridge (approx. 4 miles away); Fort Franklin (approx. 6.9 miles away); Johnny Appleseed (approx. 6.9 miles away); Major General Jesse L. Reno (approx. 7 miles away); Franklin (approx. 7.1 miles away); Samuel C.T. Dodd (approx. 7.1 miles away); Venango County (approx. 7.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 20, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 20, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.