The Site of Byars-Hall High School
Byars-Hall was a joint county and city high school of the first class and was operated under the state law governing county high schools. It offered four-year courses of study which prepared its students for college and the practical duties and responsibilities of life. In 1921 Byars-Hall was declared an A-1 (highest classification) high school, one of only seven A-1 schools throughout the state.
Throughout its existence Byars-Hall maintained a high academic standing and achieved great successes in both academics and athletics. Byars-Hall graduates number more than 3600.
Erected by Byars-Hall Alumni Group-Bill Hadley, Historian.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic
Location. 35° 33.462′ N, 89° 38.947′ W. Marker is in Covington, Tennessee, in Tipton County. Marker is on West Sherrod Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Covington TN 38019, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. General Jacob Tipton (a few steps from this marker); Charles B. Simonton (within shouting distance of this marker); Augustus Hill Garland (approx. ¼ mile away); Thomas Goode (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cadmus Marcellus Wilcox (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tipton County Confederate Monument (approx. half a mile away); Tipton County in the Civil War (approx. half a mile away); Joe Brown Bivouac, U.C.V. (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 21, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 352 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 21, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.