Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Escalante in Garfield County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

L.D.S. Tithing Office

 
 
L.D.S. Tithing Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 13, 2014
1. L.D.S. Tithing Office Marker
Inscription.  This structure, the second public building in Escalante, was erected in 1884 of native stone by Mormon pioneers under the direction of Bishop Andrew P. Schow, Edwin Twitchell and Thomas Heaps. The stone mason was Morgan Richards. It was used to receive and house the tithing of the people, which was paid in kind and consisted chiefly of produce from the farms and gardens. Potatoes and perishable foods were stored in the basement. The building is now used as a D.U.P. Relic Hall.
 
Erected 1949 by Escalante Camp, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 141.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1884.
 
Location. 37° 46.196′ N, 111° 36.029′ W. Marker is in Escalante, Utah, in Garfield County. Marker is on South Center Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 South Center Street, Escalante UT 84726, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old White Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Escalante (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Public Building (about 700 feet away); Old Boulder Mail Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); Granary in the Cliffs (approx. 6.9 miles away); View from Head of the Rocks (approx. 8.2 miles away); Building the Million-dollar Road (approx. 8.2 miles away); Conserving Wildness (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Escalante.
 
L.D.S. Tithing Office Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 13, 2014
2. L.D.S. Tithing Office Marker
L.D.S. Tithing Office image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, June 13, 2014
3. L.D.S. Tithing Office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 23, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=74746

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024