Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Randolph in Tipton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Randolph United Methodist Church

 
 
Randolph United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, April 20, 2014
1. Randolph United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  Randolph was settled in the early 1800's and became a large river port. Rev. Samuel R. Davidson was appointed the first pastor by the Tennessee Conference in 1834. A congregation formed and built a church. During the Civil War the town was burned. The second church was built in 1883 on this bluff. The present building was erected in 1953 and remodeled in 1975. Bishop William C. Martin who served as President of the Methodist Council of Bishops, grew up in this church. Seventy-eight pastors have led this congregation. Together they have built on Eph. 2:20, "Jesus Christ himself being the cornerstone."
 
Erected 1983 by Memphis Conference Commission on Archives and History.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
 
Location. 35° 31.05′ N, 89° 53.382′ W. Marker is in Randolph, Tennessee, in Tipton County. Marker is on Ballard Slough Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 98 Ballard Slough Road, Drummonds TN 38023, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Randolph (within shouting distance of this marker);
Randolph United Methodist Church-The Ten Commandents in front image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe, April 20, 2014
2. Randolph United Methodist Church-The Ten Commandents in front
Click or scan to see
this page online
Twin Defenses (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Wright, C.S.A. (approx. Ό mile away); Munford United Methodist Church (approx. 6.4 miles away); Mt. Zion — Munford (approx. 6½ miles away); a different marker also named Randolph (approx. 7.6 miles away); Atoka Evangelical Presbyterian Church (approx. 8½ miles away); Outer Breastworks (approx. 8½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Randolph.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 23, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 360 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 23, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=74751

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 22, 2022