Abilene in Taylor County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
12th Armored Division Memorial
12th Armored Division Units
Total Personnel – 10,937 Men
• CCA • CCB • CCR • 572nd AAA • Div. Artillery • Military Police • Band • Trains
Armored Infantry Battalions
• 17th AIB • 56th AIB • 66th AIB
• 23rd TB • 43rd TB • 44th TB • 714th TB
Armored Field Artillery Battalions
493rd AFA • 494th AFA • 495th AFA
82nd Armored Medical Battalion
92nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron
119th Armored Engineer Battalion
134th Armored Ordnance Battalion
152nd Armored Signal Company
• Camp Campbell, Kentucky • Camp Barkeley, Texas
CAMPAIGNS, EUROPEAN THEATER
★ Ardennes – Alsace
U.S. 7th Army - •Maginot Line •Herrlisheim/Gambsheim Bridgehead
French 1st Army - •Colmar Pocket
U.S. 3rd Army - •Ludwigshaven •Germersheim
★ Central Europe
U.S. 7th Army - •Oldenwald •Tauber River •Danube River •Romantique Road •Alps •Austria
44th TB CAMPAIGNS, PACIFIC THEATER
U.S. 6th & 8th Armies - •New Guinea •Bismarck Archipelago •Leyte •Luzon
•804 Lost their Lives •2647 Wounded •351 Prisoners of War
Installed by members and friends of the 12th Armored Division Association Memorial Committee: R.O. Collier, M.R. Drum, M.L. Glover, F.G. Hatt Jr, J.J. King, B. Leftwich
Erected by 12th Armored Division Association.
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, World II.
Location. 32° 26.156′ N, 99° 48.514′ W. Marker is in Abilene, Texas, in Taylor County. Memorial is at the intersection of Vapor Trail and Hartford Street, on the left when traveling north on Vapor Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abilene TX 79605, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. 12th Armored Division at Camp Barkeley (here, next to this marker); Lt. Col. William E. Dyess (approx. 0.4 miles away); 7th Bombardment Wing, Heavy (approx. half a mile away); Air Force Medal of Honor Recipients (approx. half a mile away); Dyess Elementary SchoolAbilene Woman's Club Building (approx. 2.4 miles away); Site of Western Cattle Trail (approx. 2.4 miles away); Company I 7th Texas Infantry (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Abilene.
Also see . . .
1. 12th Armored Division (United States). Wikipedia entry (Submitted on April 16, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. The 12th Armored Division Museum. 12th Armored Division Memorial Museum is located nearby in downtown Abilene. Very good museum with a Sherman Tank, M4 Halftrack and more vehicles. Two floors of exhibits covering the history of the 12th Armored Division, Abilene during the war, the 12th's liberation of several concentration camps, and more! 1289 N. 2nd St. Abilene, TX 79601 325-677-6515
The Twelfth Armored Division Memorial Museum will be to serve as a display and teaching museum for the study of World War II and its impact on the American people.(Submitted on August 9, 2021, by Paul Rivette of Huntsville, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 693 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 24, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 5. submitted on April 16, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.