Monroe in Sevier County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Camp Alma Relic Hall
One of the first families to occupy the cabin was that of Nella Mickelson. The Soren and Kristine Madsen family soon followed. Sunday School and choir practice were held here as well as many public functions.
In 1931, Camp Alma, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, decided to procure the Cordingly cabin for a relic hall. Dwight Swindle, on whose lot the cabin stood, gave the cabin to Camp Alma. In 1937, the husbands of the members along with other townspeople helped jack up the cabin and move it to the northeast corner of Monroe North Ward property.
The cabin had no roof, floor, windows, or foundation. Renovation began. Industrious members sewed and wove twelve large balls of rags together for the rag carpet. They lined the walls, covered the ceiling with White Factory, and painted the interior. Many relics were given to
Erected 1993 by Camp Alma, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 468.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list.
Location. 38° 38.078′ N, 112° 7.299′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Utah, in Sevier County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 North Main Street, Monroe UT 84754, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Alma (later Monroe) 1864-1867 (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Elsinore (approx. 3.9 miles away); Our Town ~ Old Inverury (approx. 4.9 miles away); Trader and Explorer Trails (approx. 4.9 miles away); Town of Joseph and Pioneer Log Cabin (approx. 5.1 miles away); Settlement of Annabella (approx. 6 miles away); Richfield Presbyterian Church and School (approx. 9.3 miles away); Fort Omni – Richfield (approx. 9.3 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 25, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 303 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 25, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.