Downtown in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Boundary Lines of Baltimore Town
Erected 1929 by the Baltimore Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1729.
Location. 39° 17.486′ N, 76° 36.561′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. It is in Downtown. Marker is on East Lexington Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baltimore City Fire Department (a few steps from this marker); Dr. Hiltgunt Margret Zassenhaus (a few steps from this marker); War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles H. Dorsey, Jr. (within shouting Discover Holliday Street: A Stage for Culture, Politics, and Worship (within shouting distance of this marker); Zion Lutheran Church (within shouting distance of this marker); James Cardinal Gibbons (within shouting distance of this marker); Loyola College and High School (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
More about this marker. Of six identical markers, this appears to be the only one remaining. At the very least, it is the only one at or near its original location. The five other markers were likely lost when the buildings that they were placed on were demolished. This marker is in the location of the star in the upper right corner of the map.
The marker was cast by J. Arthur Limerick, Founders, Baltimore. It was designed by R. Foxhall Nolley.
An article describing the markers, from the Baltimore Sun, dated September 10, 1929, reads as follows:
The Daughters of the American Revolution yesterday made public plans for dedicating six tablets marking the boundaries of the old city of Baltimore, in connection with the opening
Members of historical associations are asked to attend the ceremonies which will be held at the following locations and will be in charge of the groups named:
Mayor Broening To Speak
At the Civic Center, Holliday and Lexington streets, Mayor Broening will accept the tablet which will be presented to the city by Mrs. Ferdinand B. Focke. The Mayor will make a brief address.
The tablet in the wall of Parish Bros.' Building, Lombard street and Exchange Place, will be presented by Mrs. William F. Rogers, on behalf of the Daughters. It will be accepted by former Mayor J. Barry Mahool.
A third tablet, in the United States Fidelity and Guaranty Building, Water and Calvert streets, will be presented by Mrs. George W. Slosum and accepted by former Mayor James H. Preston.
At Charles and Balderston streets, Mrs. Samuel Alexander Hill, chaplain of the Baltimore Chapter of the Daughters, has been appointed to unveil the tablet. It will be accepted by Judge Walter I. Dawkins.
Bryant To Accept Tablet
Mrs. Herman Lohmeyer will present and Howard Bryant, President of the City Council, will accept the memorial in the wall of Miller Bros. & Co., Northeast corner of Redwood street and Hopkins place. In the Daily Record Building, Saratoga street
The tablets are of bronze and measure two feet by three feet. They are a gift of the Baltimore Chapter of the Daughters, in memory of the survey of Baltimore Town two hundred years ago.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,678 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 30, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on May 10, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 5. submitted on May 18, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6. submitted on May 10, 2016, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.