Manchaca in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Education in Manchaca
The building of the International and Great Northern Railroad tracks through Manchaca in 1881 brought an influx of new settlers and increased economic activity. In 1883 a new public schoolhouse was built immediately east of this site. The one-story brick building with bell tower was expanded with a second story in the 1910s, which added cafeteria and auditorium space. The school offered seven grades, and students went to nearby towns such as Buda for high school education. Separate schools for African American and Mexican American students operated east and northeast of this site, respectively, beginning early in the 20th century.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commisison. (Marker Number 16207.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Hispanic Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 8.479′ N, 97° 50.006′ W. Marker is in Manchaca, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Manchaca Road (County Road 2304) and Farm to Market Road 1626, on the right when traveling south on Manchaca Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12120 Manchaca Road, Austin TX 78748, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Manchaca United Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Live Oak Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); McElroy-Severn House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Antioch Colony (approx. 4 miles away); Buda United Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Buda School (approx. 4 miles away); Buda (approx. 4.1 miles away); Buda Christian Church (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manchaca.
More about this marker. The marker is on the grounds of the new elementary school. The old school to the east has been torn down and replaced by a church.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 361 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 27, 2014, by Michael Heinich of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.