Axtell in Sanpete County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Settlement of Axtell
In 1880 the first school was built of logs, whitewashed on the inside with clay, and furnished with slab and pine benches. The first teacher was Hannah Hansen. The children walked, rode on horseback, or arrived at school in wagons, buggies, or sleighs, depending upon the
In 1876 Willow Creek was renamed for Governor Samuel B. Axtell in tribute to his friendliness with members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) during the trying years before statehood.
Erected 2008 by Centerfield Company, Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 551.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
Location. 39° 3.294′ N, 111° 49.332′ W. Marker is in Axtell, Utah, in Sanpete County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 89 and Center Street, on the left when traveling north on U.S. 89. Marker is on the southwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Axtell UT 84621, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Redmond Town Hall (approx. 4.1 miles away); Centerfield (approx. 4.6 miles First Public Buildings (approx. 4.6 miles away); Casino / Star Theatre (approx. 6.9 miles away); Camp Salina (approx. 6.9 miles away); Life on the Land (approx. 6.9 miles away); The Colonists of Clarion (approx. 6.9 miles away); “Back to the Soil” (approx. 6.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 414 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.