Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pruntytown in Taylor County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Industrial School for Boys

 
 
Industrial School for Boys Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 22, 2014
1. Industrial School for Boys Marker
Inscription.  The West Virginia Industrial School for Boys was established in 1889 by an act of the Legislature and was formally opened July 21, 1891 for the purpose of training boys commited to the Institution by the courts of West Virginia.
 
Erected 1965 by West Virginia Historic Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkEducation. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 21, 1881.
 
Location. 39° 19.948′ N, 80° 4.58′ W. Marker is in Pruntytown, West Virginia, in Taylor County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 250 and Valley Falls Road (County Route 18), on the left when traveling south on U.S. 250. It is just south of US 50. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Grafton WV 26354, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Industrial School for Boys and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 22, 2014
2. Industrial School for Boys and Marker
The School’s building is behind the tree.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. First Taylor County Jail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pruntytown (about 400 feet away); John Barton Payne (about 500 feet away); Dedicated to the Memory of Thornsbury Bailey Brown (approx. 2.3 miles away); Valley Falls (approx. 2˝ miles away); Grave of Thornsbury Bailey Brown (approx. 2˝ miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2˝ miles away); Grafton National Cemetery (approx. 2˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pruntytown.
 
Regarding Industrial School for Boys. The Industrial School for Boys was closed in 1983. The 100 acre-campus is now the Pruntytown Correctional Center and the former school building is no longer used.
 
Industrial School for Boys image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 22, 2014
3. Industrial School for Boys
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 385 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 29, 2014, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=74923

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 19, 2022