Coral Gables in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
U of M Opened Here
Erected 1969 by The Historical Association of Southern Florida.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 25° 44.433′ N, 80° 15.902′ W. Marker is in Coral Gables, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker is at the intersection of University Drive and Camilo Avenue, on the right when traveling south on University Drive. Marker is located in a parking lot of the Coral Gables War Memorial Youth Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 University Drive, Miami FL 33134, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Historic 1926 White Way Lights (within shouting distance of this marker); George Edgar MerrickGeorge E. Merrick (approx. 0.6 miles away); Venetian Pool (approx. 0.6 miles away); Coral Gables Miracle Mile (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ruth Bryan Owen Waterway Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Coral Gables Merrick House (approx. ¾ mile away); Site of Packing House of Coral Gables Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coral Gables.
Regarding U of M Opened Here. The historic marker is located at the site of the Anastasia building, the first university building, now demolished. The Anastasia Building served as the home for administrative offices and classrooms of the University of Miami through the late 1960's. After the devastating hurricane of 1926 passed over South Florida, University officials knew that they would never be able to finish the Merrick Building and open on time. They then set their sites on the Anastasia Building, which was originally planned as a hotel but construction had been halted for lack of funds. The University leased the building and quickly installed room dividers to make the building function as a school. The building
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 29, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 29, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.