Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Sardis in Henderson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Doe Creek School

 
 
Doe Creek School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 22, 2014
1. Doe Creek School Marker
Inscription.  Doe Creek School is one of Tennessee's last remaining one-room log schoolhouses. Built c. 1870, it has been used as a school and a church. Yellow poplar logs, hauled to the site by a team of oxen, form the walls. Schoolmaster Elmer Duck dismissed the last class here in 1949 after teaching for five decades, one of the longer tenures for an educator in state history.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4D 59.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list.
 
Location. 35° 28.206′ N, 88° 14.85′ W. Marker is in Sardis, Tennessee, in Henderson County. Marker is on Doe Creek Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sardis TN 38371, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Doe Creek Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Doe Creek Church and School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Temple (approx. 2.6 miles away); Prof. B.A. Tucker
Doe Creek School image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 22, 2014
2. Doe Creek School
(approx. 3 miles away); Farmers State Bank and FirstBank: A Century of Community Banking (approx. 3.1 miles away); Reverend R. Swift (approx. 3.4 miles away); Scotts Hill (approx. 3.6 miles away); Veterans Monument (approx. 3.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sardis.
 
Doe Creek School and Church image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 22, 2014
3. Doe Creek School and Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on June 30, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 417 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 30, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jan. 16, 2021