Luxemburg in Kewaunee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Arriving in the mid-1850s, early settlers to this area encountered forested land accessible only by narrow, winding trails. The journey from Green Bay required a day or two of long, difficult travel. With hard work and simple hand tools, the land was slowly cleared. Agriculture became the main occupation. Businesses were established and a church was built. The community reportedly was called Luxemburg after the homeland of some of the early families that settled here.
The arrival of the railroad in 1892 encouraged new businesses to develop. In 1908 the village of Luxemburg was created. But the railroad tracks had been laid a half-mile to the north of the original business area. The village of Luxemburg was a new community that grew up along the railroad tracks.
The original community, referred to as South Luxemburg or Upper Luxemburg, was not included in the newly incorporated village. Although South Luxemburg did not grow as rapidly as did the village, it did not pass out of existence by any means.
Business people thought of various methods to draw travelers and residents from the north
Over the years, the two once separated communities merged together. Today residents enjoy the small-town atmosphere Luxemburg has to offer, but appreciate the close proximity to the Green Bay metropolitan area and its amenities. The original settlers of this area would be amazed to learn that Green Bay is only minutes away!
Marker Erected in 2002
Manufactured by Hi-TechGraphics, Inc.
Erected 2002 by Kewaunee County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 31.912′ N, 87° 42.241′ W. Marker is in Luxemburg, Wisconsin, in Kewaunee County. Marker is on Main Street (County Highway AB) south of Hickory Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is at the northeast entrance to Saint Mary's Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Luxemburg WI 54217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured Voie de la Liberte (here, next to this marker); Bank of Luxemburg (approx. half a mile away); Decker House (approx. 4.6 miles away); Casco Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away); George Halada Farmstead (approx. 5.1 miles away); Dikeman (approx. 7 miles away); Bottkolville (approx. 7.7 miles away); Stage House · Dyckesville (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Luxemburg.
More about this marker.
• In South Luxemburg some of the first businesses were a store, tavern and cheese factory. Joseph Filz was the first postmaster of the Luxemburg Post Office which was established in his store. The post office remained in South Luxemburg for about 20 years. This photo shows the Charles Linzmeier property originally owned by Filz. A photographer's studio is on the left and St. Mary's Cemetery on the right.
• Another early business enterprise in South Luxemburg was Nick Spitzer's hotel, saloon, dancehall and livery stable located across the road from the Filz property south of St. Mary's Catholic Church on the southeastern corner of the intersection. Only the section of the building to the far right remains today.
Also see . . . Luxemburg, Wisconsin. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on July 1, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 1, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.