Luxemburg in Kewaunee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bank of Luxemburg
Bank of Luxemburg was founded in 1902 by a group of prominent farmers and busnessmen. In 1903 a state charter was granted and the bank formally began operations in what was known as the Wisconsin House. On June 20, 1904, the bank proceeded to erect its first bank building across the street from the Wisconsin House.
Having outgrown its original structure, a new building on the corner of Main and Elm Streets was authorized for construction at a special shareholders meeting on April 7, 1916. The building, with its large size and ornamentation was extraordinary for a small village. With numerous renovations, this building served as the home of Bank of Luxemburg until a new building was constructed in 2008.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1906.
Location. 44° 32.377′ N, 87° 42.208′ W. Marker is in Luxemburg, Wisconsin, in Kewaunee County. Marker is on Main Street (County Highway AB) north of Elm Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 630 Main Street, Luxemburg WI 54217, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Voie de la Liberte (approx. half a mile away); South Luxemburg (approx. half a mile away); Decker House (approx. 4.4 miles away); Casco Veterans Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); George Halada Farmstead (approx. 5.7 miles away); Bottkolville (approx. 7.3 miles away); Dikeman (approx. 7.4 miles away); Stage House · Dyckesville (approx. 7.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Luxemburg.
Also see . . .
1. Bank of Luxemburg - About Us. Bank website entry:
"Bank of Luxemburg was originally launched as a rural exchange bank on October 6, 1903 in Luxemburg, WI. It was located in the south side of the Wisconsin House. After a few years, the operation moved to a new site across the street, where the bank is now located." (Submitted on July 2, 2014.)
2. Village of Luxemburg. Village website homepage (Submitted on January 22, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 357 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 2, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.