Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

New Madison in Darke County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fort Black

on the Ohio Frontier

 

— War of 1812 —

 
Fort Black Marker close up image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 14, 2013
1. Fort Black Marker close up
Inscription.  Fort Black a sturdy log outpost was erected immediately southwest of this site in the fall of 1813 under the direction of Lieutenant James Black commanding a detachment of Preble County troops in order to protect the pioneer settlers against bands of hostile Indians who were then engaged in harassing the frontier. The town of Madison was platted on this site by Zadock Smith in Dec. 1817 and was probably named for President James Madison afterwards this plat was purchased and vacated by Ernestus Putnum who laid off and recorded a new town in 1831 and called it New Madison.
 
Erected 1938 by Catherine Katzenberger.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or CastlesWar of 1812.
 
Location. 39° 58.185′ N, 84° 42.462′ W. Marker is in New Madison, Ohio, in Darke County. Marker is at the intersection of Main street (Ohio Route 121) and Fayette Street, on the right when traveling north on Main street. marker is near base of village water tower. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 Fayette Street, New Madison OH 45346, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Fort Black Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, July 2, 2014
2. Fort Black Marker
1907 USGS West Manchester topo, edited, marked and colored by Dr. Ronald Irick. Map shows proximity to other frontier features
8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Madison American Legion Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Commemorating Passage of the Lincoln Funeral Train (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenmound Veterans Memorial #1 (approx. half a mile away); Greenmound Veterans Monument #3 (approx. half a mile away); Greenmound Veterans Monument #2 (approx. half a mile away); William Graham (approx. 3½ miles away); Samuel McClure (approx. 4.1 miles away); Sgt William Brodrick (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Madison.
 
More about this marker. Please note: this marker was furnished by Catherine Katzenberger, I have noticed that several other markers in Darke County were furnished by members of this family. i.e.- Camp Stillwater, by Martha Katzenberger, and Camp Maple Swamp, by Mrs. Grace M. Katzenberger. All of these were done in 1936-38
 
Regarding Fort Black. adjacent marker refers to person on first marker
 
Fort Black Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 14, 2013
3. Fort Black Marker
2nd marker adjacent to Fort Black Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 14, 2014
4. 2nd marker adjacent to Fort Black Marker
Fort Black Cafe' image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 14, 2014
5. Fort Black Cafe'
Fort Black Marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 14, 2013
6. Fort Black Marker
donors name on marker
donors name at Camp Maple Swamp marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 27, 2014
7. donors name at Camp Maple Swamp marker
donor name at Camp Stillwater marker image. Click for full size.
By Rev. Ronald Irick, May 27, 2014
8. donor name at Camp Stillwater marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 652 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on July 2, 2014, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 21, 2020