Clarence in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Goodrich-Landow Log Cabin
Levi Goodrich, born in Hadley, Massachusetts in 1774, settled in Clarence in 1815. The patriarch of a large family was also a land surveyor. Goodrich laid out several major roads in Clarence, including the one named for him. In 1836 the entire Goodrich family left Clarence and relocated to the state of Michigan.
The Landow log home was originally on the east side of Goodrich Road, north of Lapp Road in the Town of Clarence. (1923 photo)
The last residents of the cabin were the family of Mr. & Mrs. Gustave Landrow, prominent members of the German settlement in north Clarence. The building was incorporated into the farmhouse of the Landrow's large and prosperous farm.
The restored fireplace wall is a focal point of the interior of the cabin. (Sherwood Greenberg
The restored cabin has been oriented to the compass points as it was on the original site. The whitewashed, saddle-notched, round log building has a stone chimney back projecting through the north wall. Inside and out the chinking mortar between the logs was restored with a mixture of local clay, sand and animal hair. The hewn surfaces of the interior log walls were whitewashed with natural lime. The beaded wide-board partition wall, passing in front of the restored fireplace and bake oven, is an amazingly intact and rare original surviving feature.
Courtesy of East Hill Foundation, 2005
Erected 2005 by East Hill Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 42° 58.789′ N, 78° 35.878′ W. Marker is in Clarence, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street (New York State Route 5) and Cummings Road. Marker is located on the grounds of the Clarence Historical Museum. The museum is just east of the exit for Clarence Town Park (Cummings Road). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10465 Main Street, Clarence NY 14031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Watchman's Flag Shanty, West Shore Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Town of Clarence - First Grist Mill in Erie CountyIn Memory of Our Comrades / In Grateful Memory (about 700 feet away); Clarence Town Park (about 700 feet away); Town of Clarence - Ransom's Grove (approx. ¼ mile away); Niagara Frontier (approx. 1.9 miles away); Hull House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Clarence Center (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarence.
Also see . . . Clarence Historical Society. (Submitted on July 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 900 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on July 2, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.