Knowlton in Brome-Missisquoi MRC, Quebec — Central Canada (French-Canadian)
The Old Academy
La "Old Academy", bâtie en 1854 (St. Paul's Church High School), agrandie en 1867, et cede à la Société d'Histoire de Brome comme musée, pour honorer la mémoire de Paul-H. Knowlton, qui avait donné le terrain et le premier corps de logis.
The Old Academy built 1854 as St. Paul's Church High School, enlarged 1867, transferred 1903 to Brome Historical Society for museum, as a memorial to Paul Holland Knowlton, donor of the land and original building.
Erected by Commission des Monuments Historiques du Québec.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education.
Location. 45° 13.168′ N, 72° 30.48′ W. Marker is in Knowlton, Quebec, in Brome-Missisquoi MRC. Marker can be reached from Lakeside (Quebec Route 243) 0.1 kilometers north of Victoria Street. Marker is attached to the side of the Paul Holland Knowlton House on the grounds of the Brome County Historical Society museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 Lakeside Street, Knowlton, Quebec J0E 1V0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers Tibbits Hill School (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); Former Bolton Township Hall (approx. 12 kilometers away).
Regarding The Old Academy. According to a nearby interpretive panel, the Academy was initially built in 1854 and had only one level. The second floor was added in 1867.
Also see . . . Brome County Historical Society website. (Submitted on July 7, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Additional keywords. Lac Brome; Knowlton Academy
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 7, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 299 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.