Oswego in Oswego County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Oswego Harbor West Pierhead Lighthouse
In 1869, the pier was extended northward from its eastern terminus, forming an elbow with its northernmost point, identified with an iron lighthouse. In 1881, after the completion of the outer west breakwater, making an enclosed harbor, the lighthouse was moved to the end of the breakwater and designated the Outer Harbor Light.
By 1931, both the lighthouses and the inner pier were gone, three years later the pierhead lighthouse, which exists today, was built.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Landmarks. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1821.
Location. 43° 27.711′ N, 76° 31.059′ W. Marker is in OswegoTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oswego NY 13126, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Open Water = Winter Birds (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wreck of the David W. Mills (about 600 feet away); Oswego West Side Forts (about 600 feet away); Fort George (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Oswego (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Oswego (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oswego Harbor (approx. 0.2 miles away); LT-5 TUG (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oswego.
Also see . . . Oswego West Pierhead, NY. This is a link to information provided by Lighthouse Friends.com (Submitted on July 15, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 15, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 15, 2014, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.