Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Historic Third Ward in Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Cawker Building

Historic Third Ward

 
 
Cawker Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
1. Cawker Building Marker
Inscription.  
This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places

Cawker Building

First occupant Landauer & Co.
Dry Goods & Notions

Tour Site 31
1895

 
Erected by Historic Third Ward Walking Tour. (Marker Number 31.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
 
Location. 43° 1.964′ N, 87° 54.541′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. It is in the Historic Third Ward. Marker is at the intersection of North Water Street and East Chicago Street, on the right when traveling north on North Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200-208 N Water St, Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. W.P. Reilly & Bros. (within shouting distance of this marker); Keenan Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Friend & Marks Co., Clothiers (within shouting distance of this marker); Monarch Manufacturing Co., Clothiers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers (within shouting distance of this marker); Patek Brothers, Paint, Oil & Glass Manufacturers (within shouting distance of this marker); S. Jung Company Liquor Wholesale (within shouting distance of this marker); Bradley & Metcalf Shoe Co. (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
 
Regarding Cawker Building. Built in 1895, the Cawker Estate Building was immediately leased to Landauer & Co., a wholesale dry goods and notions firm. In 1994 the Milwaukee Institute of Art and Design renovated the upper floors for student housing. The William F. Eisner Advertising & Design Museum occupies the lower floors. - Historic Third Ward Walking Tour brochure
 
Cawker Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Fehrenbach, November 1, 2011
2. Cawker Building Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 16, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 10, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on July 16, 2014, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 10, 2014, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=75378

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024