Cassopolis in Cass County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Governor - General - Grand Master
Organized Cass County 1829 and named in Governor Cass' Honor - Cassopolis created a Village in 1863, became County seat also named to honor of Lewis Cass.
Died June 1866 - - - - Received Last Masonic Rites June 20, 1866.
Erected 1975 by Grand Lodge Free and Accepted Masons of Michigan.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1866.
Location. 41° 54.397′ N, 86° 0.754′ W. Marker is in Cassopolis, Michigan, in Cass County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of S. Broadway Street (State Highway 62) and E. South Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 S Broadway St, Cassopolis MI 49031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cass County Jail Cornerstone (here, next to this marker); Pioneer Log Cabin Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); To Those Who Fight For America's Freedom in the Past, Present and Future (within shouting distance of this marker); Sanctuary and Deliverance (approx. ¼ mile away); Freedom Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cass County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cassopolis Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Captain Iven C. Kincheloe Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cassopolis.
Also see . . . Lewis Cass - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on July 16, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 581 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 16, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 5. submitted on April 23, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.