Beaver in Beaver County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Beaver Territorial Courthouse
Beaver was proclaimed the seat of the Second District Territorial Court in September 1870. During that time, the courthouse served as the center of justice for the expansive territory bordered by the Colorado River
The courthouse survived a fire in 1889, an earthquake in 1901, and intended demolition in 1970, when a new courthouse was constructed. The courthouse was saved from demolition by the diligent efforts of Beaver Company Daughters of Utah Pioneers. Their committee, comprised of Susie Beeson, Clerynth Larson, Lulu T. Tanner, Viola Yardley, Phoebe Warby, Alta C Hickman, Margery Mackrell, Delia Nowers, Beatrice Hurst, and Jessie Ward, petitioned State Senators and County Commissioners to save the building. On December 5, 1974, county officials and DUP signed a 100-year lease which saved the historically significant courthouse. The building is now used as a DUP Pioneer Museum, and it is hoped that the building will remain in place for many generations for all posterity to enjoy. Renovations were completed in 2010.
Erected 2013 by Beaver Company Daughters of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 570.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1870.
Location. 38° 16.44′ N, 112° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Beaver UT 84713, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philo T. Farnsworth (a few steps from this marker); Early Sawed Log Farm Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaver Opera House (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaver Relief Society Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Beaver Stake Tabernacle (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Cameron (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneer Park (approx. half a mile away); Grimshaw Home (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaver.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 546 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 22, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.