Derby in Orleans County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
— The Oldest Incorporated School in Orleans County —
Countless numbers of students and this community have lived and prospered under the school motto
1840 Classes began in September with 147 students
1842 The Lyceum organized for debating society
1845 Name changed to Derby Academy
1853 Orleans County Historical Society founded and given space for meetings and display
1918 Derby Academy became the public junior-senior high school
1921 Judge Nathan Hunt gave six acres for the athletic field
1957 Early building replaced with brick structure
1967 Derby Academy merged with four other schools into North Country Union High School District 22
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1840.
Location. 44° 56.991′ N, 72° 7.949′ W. Marker is in Derby, Vermont, in Orleans County. Marker is on Main Street (Vermont Route 105) 0.3 miles south of U.S. 5, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Derby VT 05829, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Arrival of the Railroad / L'Arrivée du Chemin de Fer (approx. 3.7 miles away); Pomerleau Park (approx. 3.7 miles away); Tour Boats on the Lake / Les Bateaux de Randonnée sur le Lac (approx. 3.7 miles away); Newport's Hotels and Tourism / Les Hotels de Newport et le Tourisme (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Lane Opera House / Le « Lane Opera House » (approx. 3.8 miles away).
Regarding Derby Academy. "Qualis Non Quantus" loosely translated means "Quality Not Quantity"
Credits. This page was last revised on December 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 22, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.