Austin in Travis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Samuel Huston College
Samuel Huston College traces its history to 1876 when the Rev. George W. Richardson founded a college in Dallas for the education of African American youth. St. Paul’s Methodist Episcopal Church was leased for the private school, named Andrews Normal School.
The school moved to Austin in 1878 and held classes in the Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church. The west Texas conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, with the help of the Freedmen’s Aid Society, adopted Andews Normal School in 1878 and the name was changed to West Texas Conference School. Nearly six acres were acquired on East 12th Street in 1880 for the original campus. The school was renamed in 1887 in honor of Samuel Huston of Morengo, Iowa, who donated property worth $10,000. Funding difficulties caused the school to close several times in the 1880s. It reopened in 1900 at the same site.
Organized as a private educational corporation in 1910, it became a senior college in 1926, and merged with Tillotson College in 1952. Relocated to the Tillotson College campus on Chicon Street, the school was renamed Huston-Tillotson College. It continues a distinguished
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15242.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓 series list.
Location. 30° 16.302′ N, 97° 43.911′ W. Marker is in Austin, Texas, in Travis County. Marker is at the intersection of Interstate 35 Frontage Road and East 12th Street, on the right when traveling north on Interstate 35. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Austin TX 78702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ebenezer (Third) Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brackenridge Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); Swedish Hill (approx. ¼ mile away); Colored Teachers State Association of Texas Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Victory Grill (approx. ¼ mile away); German Free School (approx. 0.3 miles away); Metropolitan African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); French Legation (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Austin.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 916 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on July 23, 2014, by Tiji Biem of Austin, Texas. Photos: 1. submitted on December 29, 2009, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2020, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context after November 2020 construction. • Can you help?