Whitingham in Windham County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Green Mountain Hall
The structure, originally of Greek Revival design, was built in 1861 as a Universalist Church. As its membership declined toward the end of the 19th century, the Congregation found it necessary to relinquish ownership to a community association, the Green Mountain Club. In 1909 the association disbanded and turned ownership over to the town.
During the ensuing years, the building was used for Town Meetings, plays, dances and basketball games. Two additions were also made to the building. A large stage was added to the back of the building and a porch and vestibule to the front which altered the original Greek Revival style to what is now termed "Vermont Vernacular".
In 1973 the Board of Selectmen leased the building to the Whitingham Historical Society.
Erected by Town of Whitingham.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Entertainment • Sports. In addition, it is included in the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) series list.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13 Stimpson Hill Road, Whitingham VT 05361, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brigham Young Birthplace (within shouting distance of this marker); Wilmington Veterans Monument (approx. 5˝ miles away); Crafts Inn (approx. 5.6 miles away); Elizabeth Page “Molly” Stark, 1737 – 1814 (approx. 5.6 miles away); Wilmington Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); 7 West Main Street (approx. 5.6 miles away); Lyman House (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Norton House (approx. 5.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Green Mountain Hall is also the home of the Whitingham Historical Society. The society is open to the public on Sundays from May to October.
Additional keywords. Unitarian Universalism, UUism
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.