Holland in Bell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1874, James R. “Rube” Holland (1847-1912), a Civil War veteran, came to Bell County from Arkansas. In 1878, he built a steam-powered cotton gin on his property three miles southwest of Mountain Home. The next year, a post office named Holland opened in a store near the gin; Alfred Evans (1810-1896), a former state representative and veteran of the Indian Wars and the U.S. - Mexico War, was appointed postmaster.
In 1881, the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad passed through this area. G.M. Dodge (1831-1916), a Civil War veteran and civil engineer, purchased land for this town site, which became known as (New) Mountain Home. Businesses moved from Old Mountain Home to this new town, and in 1882, the Holland Post Office moved here as well. The community adopted the name Holland by
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15915.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately 📭 series list.
Location. 30° 52.776′ N, 97° 24.321′ W. Marker is in Holland, Texas, in Bell County. Marker is at the intersection of West Travis Street and North Lexington Street, on the right when traveling east on West Travis Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Holland TX 76534, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Woman's Study Club of Holland (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Oak CemeteryBartlett Electric Cooperative (approx. 2.9 miles away); Site of German-English School (approx. 4.9 miles away); St. John Lutheran Church (approx. 5 miles away); Site of Booker T. Washington School (approx. 5.7 miles away); Stockton Family Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Bartlett Grammar School (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Holland.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 380 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on October 22, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 23, 2015, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.