Plymouth in Marshall County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Meeting of Marshall County
Erected 1936 by Marshall County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 19.401′ N, 86° 17.931′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Indiana, in Marshall County. Marker is at the intersection of Michigan Road and Meadow Drive, on the right when traveling south on Michigan Road. Marker is located near the south corner of the intersection 150 feet southeast of Meadow Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth IN 46563, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Plymouth's First Fire Alarm (approx. 1.4 miles away); Historic Crossroads of America / The Lincoln Highway (approx. 1˝ miles away); Honor Roll - Marshall County Indiana (approx. 1˝ miles away); Replica of The Statue of LibertyTaber Cemetery (approx. 1.7 miles away); Roberts Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); Chief Menominee (approx. 3.8 miles away); Potawatomi Indian Village (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Regarding First Meeting of Marshall County. The Indiana legislature on February 4, 1836 passed an act for the organization of Marshall County. Shortly thereafter on May 2, 1836 the board of commissioners of Marshall County held their first meeting. The commissioners held the meeting in the morning at the house of Grove Pomeroy at Michigan Road and LaPorte Street and appointed a clerk for the board. They then adjourned the meeting to 1 o'clock and moved the meeting to the farm house of Commissioner Charles Ousterhaute, located 1 1/2 miles south of Plymouth on Michigan Road. This is the location marked by the boulder and tablet. At the afternoon meeting, the commissioners approved the seal of the board, divided the county into three districts (Dist. No. 1 - North Township, Dist. No. 2 - Center Township, Dist. No. 3 - Green Township), and ordered elections.
(Source: McDonald, Daniel. A Twentieth Century
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 29, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 301 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 29, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.