East Bolton in Memphrémagog MRC, Quebec — Central Canada (French-Canadian)
Former Bolton Township Hall
French text appears above English text.
Passage of the Municipal and Road Act for Lower Canada in 1855 resulted in the construction of many public halls in the English-speaking communities of rural Quebec during the second half of the 19th century. This township hall was erected in 1867 by community members using wood obtained locally. It served as a council chamber and social meeting place as well as accommodating a school on the ground floor. A fine example of regional building traditions, this structure stands as a graceful tribute to the development of local self-government and to community spirit.
Erected 1984 by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Government & Politics • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board series list.
Location. 45° 12.177′ N, 72° 21.37′ W. Marker is in East Bolton, Quebec, in Memphrémagog MRCTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 858 Missisquoi Road, East Bolton, Quebec J0E 1G0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reginald Aubrey Fessenden (approx. 6.3 kilometers away); The Old Academy (approx. 12 kilometers away); Tibbits Hill School (approx. 15.5 kilometers away).
More about this marker. Marker is attached to the Town Hall to the right of the main entrance
Also see . . . National Historic Site - East Bolton Town Hall. (Submitted on July 30, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 354 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 30, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.