You are standing at the corner of Leyden Street and Water Street. Leyden Street is the first street laid out in Plymouth and the location of the first Pilgrim homes. From this location one can see Cole’s Hill, the Waterfront and Leyden Street leading to Town Square and Burial Hill.
The English settlers chose this area for their new settlement after three days of surveying along the coast. Plymouth’s protected bay and the fresh water of Town Brook made the location a good choice. The settlers officially disembarked on December 21, 1620.
The landing on Plymouth Rock- Painting by Michele Felice Corne (circa 1752-1845), 1809.
One of the earliest representations of the landing, after the engraving by Samuel Hill, 1800.
Note the Billings canopy in the foreground is the second photo of this display.
Courtesy of Pilgrim Hall Museum 75 Court Street, Plymouth
Plymouth’s fishing fleet and Plymouth Rock, circa 1870. This fishing schooners shown here were the backbone of Plymouth’s commercial fleet. James Baker
Plymouth Rock is one of Plymouth’s most famous
Plymouth Rock became internationally famous as the supposed landing place of the Pilgrims. In 1774, the Rock was split into two pieces during an effort to relocate it to a more prominent site at Town Square. The lower half of Rock remained in place on the waterfront, but the upper half was moved to Plymouth center and later to a fenced enclosure in front of Pilgrim Hall. The upper piece was rejoined with its lower half in 1880 and placed under a Victorian canopy designed by Hammatt Billings. The date 1620 was inscribed on the Rock at this time. The Billings canopy was open at street level and did no protect the Rock from souvenir hunters. The two sections were lowered to their original sea level position under the present canopy in 1921. Plymouth Rock is the centerpiece of Pilgrim Memorial State Park, the smallest park in the Massachusetts State Forest and Park System, but also the most heavily visited.
Town Brook is a 1.5-mile stream that originates at the 269–acre Billington Sea and flows through Brewster Garden into historic Plymouth Harbor. Town Brook was the source of freshwater that prompted the Pilgrims to settle in Plymouth. The brook sustained the early settlement through difficult times. The local Wampanoag Indians, namely Squanto, taught the settlers how to fish for herring and to use them as fertilizer for their corn crops. Later, Town Brook became the first center of industrialization as its water was used to power numerous mills along its course. Industries along Town Brook had a major impact on Plymouth’s nineteenth century history.
Plymouth Rock, the world’s most famous Dedham granodiorite boulder. The date “1620” was carved into it in
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 57.395′ N, 70° 39.716′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Leyden St on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth MA 02360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William Bradford (a few steps from this marker); Cole’s Hill (a few steps from this marker); Leyden Street (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Coles Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); 1630-1930 (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Tribble House (within shouting distance of this marker); Gurnet Fortifications (within shouting distance of this marker); First House Built by the Pilgrims (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2014, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 351 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 13, 2020. 2. submitted on August 1, 2014, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. 3. submitted on August 23, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on August 1, 2014, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.