Current building and history
Although no 17th century structures survive on the street, the existing homes are a assortment of 18th and 19th century houses that front directly onto the sidewalks. They stand close together on small lots that are roughly 49 ½ feet deep, as was allotted in the first division in 1620.
Unlike many New England communities Plymouth has a market square rather than a green at its center. Town Square occupies the upper end of Leyden Street and is surrounded by three prominent buildings. The 1749 Courthouse on the corner of Market Street occupies the south side of the square; the stone First Parish Church (Unitarian) is at the west end and the white wooden church
Burial Hill, also known as Fort Hill, is located at the east end of Leyden Street. This was the highest hill in the area, about 130 feet above sea level, with a good view of the harbor. The Pilgrims build their fort upon the top of this hill, and in the earliest years of Plymouth there were six cannons mounted on the fort. They used the fort for their church house as well. In 1675 and 1676, the residents of Plymouth built a smaller fort in the location shown in the picture below, to protect themselves from attack. After the end of the war, tradition says the wood form the fort was sold and used to build the Harlow House, still standing at Plymouth. Shortly before King Phillip’s War, the hill began to be used as a cemetery. The earliest gravestone it is claimed that some of the Mayflower passengers were buried on the hill including the supposed gravesite of William Bedford, who died in 1657. There is no original gravestone for Bradford, and the tall memorial was placed there in the 19th century. Town square -1828 print by Benjamin Parris Barlett. A man is seating his young son on the upper half of Plymouth Rock, moved to this spot from the waterfront by Colonel Theophilus Cotton.
Site of old fort. Dr. James Thacher planted an elm tree a the center of the old fort’s foundation, which was later replaced with the marble “stool.”
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1620.
Location. 41° 57.387′ N, 70° 39.688′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in Plymouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Leyden Street and Water Street on Leyden Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth MA 02360, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plymouth Waterfront (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bradford (within shouting distance of this marker); Cole’s Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); 1630-1930 (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Coles Hill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Joseph Tribble House (about 300 feet away); First House Built by the Pilgrims (about 300 feet away); Gurnet Fortifications (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plymouth.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2014, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 495 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 13, 2020. 2. submitted on August 1, 2014, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. 3, 4. submitted on August 23, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.