Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cheriton in Northampton County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Tidewater Institute

(1907 - 1935)

 
 
Site of Tidewater Institute Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, April 20, 2008
1. Site of Tidewater Institute Marker
Inscription.  Tidewater Institute was incorporated in 1903 with the stated purpose of establishing an industrial, academic, collegiate, and seminary boarding school for the education of black youth. Founded by the Rev. George E. Reid, and supported by the Northampton/Accomack Baptist Association, the institute attracted students from both Virginia and other Atlantic seaboard states. For twenty-eight years, the school was dedicated to the education and molding of lives of young black men and women of Virginia's Eastern Shore.
 
Erected 1986 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number WY-2.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & ReligionEducationIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1903.
 
Location. 37° 18.449′ N, 75° 56.9′ W. Marker is in Cheriton, Virginia, in Northampton County. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cheriton VA 23316, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4
This house now stands at the site of the Tidewater Institute image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, April 20, 2008
2. This house now stands at the site of the Tidewater Institute
Click or scan to see
this page online
miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salem Methodist Church (approx. Ύ mile away); Stratton Manor (approx. Ύ mile away); Eyre Hall (approx. 0.8 miles away); Town Fields (approx. 1.6 miles away); Home of First Settler (approx. 2.9 miles away); Home of the First Settler (approx. 2.9 miles away); Gingaskin Indian Reservation (approx. 3.2 miles away); Historic Northampton County Court Bell (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheriton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,476 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7586

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 2, 2022