Northampton County Court Green
The Northampton County Court Green is one of the earliest and most complete in Virginia. It includes outstanding examples of early court buildings as well as later structures reflecting the continuity of government in Eastville for well over 300 years. The area is listed as a Historic District on both the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
Northampton County and the Northampton Branch, APVA Preservation Virginia, have worked together to restore and interpret the Green in celebration of the 400th anniversary of the 1607 Jamestown Settlement. Major funding for this effort was provided by the Norfolk Foundation.
The Eastern Shore of Virginia formed one of the eight original shires, or counties, of the Virginia colony. Captain John Smith explored this region in 1608, and Jamestown residents created a salt works here in 1614. By 1620, a permanent English settlement had been established near the peninsula's southern tip and local commissioners had been appointed by 1632.
In 1677, with population advancing northward, the area known as the Hornes, now called Eastville, was
[Insert with visiting hours and diagram:]
A. Confederate Monument. The memorial was created in 1913, as inscribed.
B. 1731 Courthouse. Initially located on the site of the Confederate Monument, this is one of only a handful of colonial courthouses that survive in Virginia, despite extensive alterations and threatened demolition. In 1913, the building was rescued and moved to its present location through the efforts of local preservationists who later formed the Northampton Branch, APVA Preservation Virginia. Visitors to the courthouse will find a scale model showing its 1731 design as well as an original raised-panel bookpress.
C. Clerk's Office. This building is a rare example of an early clerk's office with a fire-resistant paved stone floor and vaulted masonry ceiling. The structure has been dated to the second half of the 18th century, possibly as late as 1800. It remains largely unchanged and is furnished as it appeared in an early photograph.
D. Debtors' Prison. This prison (ca. 1815) has been called the state's best remaining example of its type and
E. Jail Complex. This four-square neo-colonial building (ca. 1913) replaced earlier facilities.
F. 1899 Courthouse. Designed in the then-popular Romanesque Revival style, this building served the County for the entire 20th century. In 2006, the court and its records were moved to the new complex to the west and behind this Green.
G. Lawyers' Row. These neo-colonial and vernacular offices were built between 1820 and 1985. They have been occupied principally by attorneys serving the court.
H. Old Brick Store. Dating to ca 1810, this classic store's second floor front door allowed merchants to hoist goods directly into storage areas. It has been used as a private office since the 1990's.
I. The Eastville Inn. This building is one of the few surviving early courthouse taverns in Virginia, with the southernmost section dating to the late 18th century. Enlarged and modified over the years, the Inn continued to offer food and lodging until the 1950's. Following major renovations funded by a Federal grant, it was rededicated in 2000 as a visitor center offering restaurant service and exhibit
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 21.203′ N, 75° 56.765′ W. Marker is in Eastville, Virginia, in Northampton County. Marker is at the intersection of Alt. US 13 and Willow Oak Road, on the left when traveling north on Alt. US 13. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eastville VA 23347, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Monument - Eastville, VA (here, next to this marker); Northampton County Veteran's Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Old Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Debdeavon (a few steps from this marker); Historic Northampton County Court Bell (a few steps from this marker); Gingaskin Indian Reservation (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of the First Settler (approx. 0.3 miles away); Home of First Settler (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eastville.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 13, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,201 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 11, 2016, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.