Miami Beach in Miami-Dade County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Haulover Beach Sport Fishing Docks
The originally known Lighthouse Dock, once at this site, marked the beginnings of this area's fame as a sportsman's paradise. Folklore and history relate that a man named Baker (c. 1810) “hauled over” fishing boats from the bay to the ocean. In 1926, Captain Henry Jones (1883-1968) built the first dock with a permit from the War Department. By 1937-1939, the Lighthouse Restaurant and the Ocean Bay Trailer Park shared this property. These early docks served as the foundation of an international sport fishing tourist industry as charter boat fisherman searched for marlin, sailfish and other big-game fish in Miami's abundant Gulf Stream waters. Adjacent to these docks was an official weighing station of the Metropolitan Miami Fishing Tournament, the oldest and largest fishing contest in the world. Many record catches were certified here. Captains navigated their charters beneath the hazardous Haulover Bridge with its treacherous currents. They also contended with the threat of enemy submarines, just outside the Inlet, from 1942 to 1943. Some captains assumed duties as sub-spotters. A Coast Guard vessel was
In 1944 the Lighthouse Dock became part of the Haulover Beach Park. The Dade County Parks Department assumed management and changed the name to Haulover Beach Docks. In 1951-1952 the docks were replaced by a marina, built farther to the north. Calling these docks home were the captains, their boats, and the only women working as mates for their husbands. The earliest pioneer captains at these docks were: Henry Jones, Henrietta; George Hamway, Popeye; Joe Reese, Ethel Lee; Slim Caraway (Marjorie) Lady Luck; John Sacon (nee Saconchik), Martha Mary; George Helker, Gremlin; Ralph Nemire (Iris), Seacomber; Harry Stone, Oke Doke; Ira Gregory, Lucky Strike; Elsworth Stone, Anhow; W.D. Murphy, Pat; Charles Smith (Mary), Interim; Harold Alford (Jeannette) Privateer; Otto Reichert, Restless; Robert Paterson, Huskee; Frank Kurek, Sportsman; Ernie Luebbers, Mystery; B.C. Millard, Surf King; and Paul Goerner, Vee Gee. Other individuals contributing to the success of the Haulover fishing fleet: Official Dock Photographer, Doris Barnes; Dock/Weigh Masters, Norton/Waggoner; and Taxidermist, Al Pflueger. They recorded the feats
Erected 2003 by Miami-Dade Park and Recreation and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-468.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Sports • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
Location. 25° 54.086′ N, 80° 7.524′ W. Marker is in Miami Beach, Florida, in Miami-Dade County. Marker can be reached from Collins Avenue (State Road A1A) 1.1 miles north of 96th Street (County Road 922), on the left when traveling north. The marker is located on the west side of Haulover Park near the fire station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10800 Collins Ave, Miami Beach FL 33154, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barefoot Mailman (approx. 0.9 miles away); Arch Creek Road Military Trail (approx. 2.3 miles away); Arch Creek (approx. 2.3 miles away); Arch Creek Bridge (approx. 2.3 miles away); North Shore Historic District (approx. 2½ miles away); Fulford-By-The-Sea Fountain (approx. 2.9 miles away); Biscayne House of Refuge (approx. 3.1 miles away); Biscayne (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Miami Beach.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 536 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 4, 2014, by Marsha A. Matson of Palmetto Bay, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.