Brandon in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Brandon Training School
Established in 1915, the program served Vermonters with mental retardation and developmental disabilities continuously until 1993. Founded as the Brandon State School for Feebleminded Children, the name was changed to Brandon State School in 1929 and later to the Brandon Training School. Begun as a working farm, many original structures still exist, including remnants of a horse racetrack visible from Route 7. The campus grew to include over 30 buildings and 400 acres, and served over 650 persons at its peak in 1968. In the 1980s the population of the facility declined as persons were served in community based programs. The Brandon Training School maintained a proud tradition of quality care and active training throughout its history.
Erected 1993 by Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education.
Location. 43° 48.772′ N, 73° 6.197′ W. Marker is in Brandon, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brandon VT 05733, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stephen A. Douglas (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Stephen A. Douglas (approx. one mile away); Brandon Civil War Memorial (approx. 1.3 miles away); Forest Dale Ironworks (approx. 3.1 miles away); Fort Vengeance (approx. 5.3 miles away); The Ruth Stone House/Green Apples (approx. 5.9 miles away); Major Samuel Beach (approx. 6 miles away); Hammond Covered Bridge (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandon.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 393 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.