Brandon in Rutland County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
Stephen A. Douglas
Opponent of Abraham Lincoln
The ‘little giant’ of national politics, born in Brandon in 1813, later moved to Middlebury to learn cabinet making. Returning to Brandon, he attended the Academy. Moving to Illinois in 1833, his career merged with the stream of American politics, reaching the height in his famous debates with Abraham Lincoln in 1858. Although Lincoln’s opponent during the campaign, he supported the Union until his death in June, 1861.
Erected 1957 by Vermont Historic Sites Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln series list.
Location. 43° 48.027′ N, 73° 5.651′ W. Marker is in Brandon, Vermont, in Rutland County. Marker is at the intersection of Grove Street (U.S. 7) and Champlain Street (Vermont Route 73), on the right when traveling south on Grove Street. Marker is located in front of the Brandon Visitor Center (open 365 days a year) and Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 Grove Street, Brandon VT 05733, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Stephen A. Douglas (a few steps from this marker); Brandon Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Brandon Training School (approx. one mile away); Forest Dale Ironworks (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fort Vengeance (approx. 4.4 miles away); Hammond Covered Bridge (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Ruth Stone House/Green Apples (approx. 6 miles away); Kendrick Dam, Pond, Mill, and Ice House (approx. 6˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brandon.
Also see . . . Wikipedia - Stephen A. Douglas. (Submitted on August 5, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 5, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.