Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Panton in Addison County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Benedict Arnold

 
 
Benedict Arnold Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Craft, August 2, 2014
1. Benedict Arnold Marker
Inscription.  
Near this spot on the afternoon of October 13, 1776 in the first important naval engagement of the War for Independence
BENEDICT ARNOLD
after a battle in which he had displayed great boldness, gallantry and sagacity ran ashore and burned the remnants of the American squadron under his command as the only alternative to its surrender to a British fleet much stronger than his own.

"Never had any force big or small, lived to better purpose or died more gloriously"
- A.T. Mahan
 
Erected 1916 by Vermont Society Sons of the American Revolution.
 
Topics. This memorial is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is October 13, 1795.
 
Location. 44° 8.535′ N, 73° 21.652′ W. Marker is in Panton, Vermont, in Addison County. Memorial is on Arnold Bay Road ¼ mile north of Pease Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vergennes VT 05491, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. School House (approx. 3 miles away in New York); First Sawmill (approx.
Benedict Arnold Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Craft, August 2, 2014
2. Benedict Arnold Marker
(on the right, in the shadow)
Click or scan to see
this page online
3.4 miles away in New York); Site of Naval Shipyard (approx. 3.8 miles away); Wetland Resources (approx. 4.1 miles away); Snow Geese (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area (approx. 4.1 miles away); Canada Geese (approx. 4.1 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 4.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Original marker was installed in 1916. Marker was replaced with the assistance of the citizens of Panton on July 4th 1963.
 
Also see . . .  Benedict Arnold - History. (Submitted on August 9, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=76010

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2021