Rome in Oneida County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Southwest Bombproof: Storeroom and Siege Hospital
Fort Stanwix National Monument
This bombproof, with a ventilation shaft leading to the top of the bastion, was considered the best place for keeping food (salt meat, peas, flour, rice and vinegar) and other non-weapon supplies. For most of the fort’s history, it was a storage area for such provisions.
During the 1777 siege, the bombproof was converted to a makeshift hospital. The turns in the hallway prevented shrapnel from entering, keeping troops and supplies safe.
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical year for this entry is 1777.
Location. 43° 12.626′ N, 75° 27.334′ W. Marker is in Rome, New York, in Oneida County. Marker can be reached from Black River Blvd. (New York State Route 26), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located inside Fort Stanwix. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 E Park Street, Rome NY 13440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guard Duty (a few steps from this marker); Soldiers’ Quarters: Casemate (within shouting distance of this Missionary’s Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Suttler (within shouting distance of this marker); Visiting Officers’ Lodging (within shouting distance of this marker); Artillerymen (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers’ Quarters: Barracks Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Surgeon’s Day Room (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rome.
More about this marker. A picture on the marker of a soldier rolling a barrel into the bomb proof has a caption of “Upon the preservation of the provisions depends the Life of the Garrison. The Commanding Officer has Ordered the Bomb Proofes under the S:W & N:W Bastions fitted up in the best Manner possible for the Reception of the Beef and Pork that is in this Garrison.
Lt. Col. Marinus Willett, Garrison Orders, April 16th, 1778”
Also see . . . Fort Stanwix National Monument. National Park Service website. (Submitted on August 5, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 307 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 5, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.