Ehrhardt in Bamberg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Conrad Ehrhardt Railroad Park
With the completion of the railroad, Conrad began selling housing lots in the town and the town was incorporated in 1898. The incorporation set the tide for more businesses to come and Ehrhardt grew to over 1000 people by 1900. He was also a man with high Christian standards and a very generous person. He lived and practiced the standards of his own expressed words. "Try to owe no man anything but goodwill and endervor to pay that to all." It was this goodwill that led him to make a covenant with God as he was traveling to America, to build a church in the area he settled with his prosperity. He donated 2 acres for the Ehrhardt Memorial Lutheran Church and retired its outstanding debt when it was completed in 1904. He built a 10,000 gallon water tower sixty feet high to provide water for town residents for a small fee. And finally, he donated land to the town of Ehrhardt for the use as a cemetery, to which, he became its 1st occupant on September 13, 1908. Subsequent to his death, a 2nd railroad line, The BE&W, was started to provide transportation between Ehrhardt, Bamberg, and Walterboro
Erected by State of South Carolina.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor series list. A significant historical month for this entry is September 1860.
Location. 33° 5.8′ N, 81° 0.85′ W. Marker is in Ehrhardt, South Carolina, in Bamberg County. Marker is at the intersection of Low Country Hwy (State Highway 64) and Broxton Bridge Road / Broadway Street (U.S. 601), on the right when traveling west on Low Country Hwy. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ehrhardt SC 29081, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ehrhardt Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Church (approx. 1½ miles away); St. Johns Baptist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Bonnie E. Cone (approx. 4 miles away); Colleton County Confederate Soldiers (approx. 4.9 miles away); Our Confederate Dead (approx. 4.9 miles away); A Tradition of Remembering, A Legacy of Preservation (approx. 4.9 miles away); Rivers Bridge Confederate Dead (approx. 4.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ehrhardt.
Regarding Conrad Ehrhardt Railroad Park. The sidebar on the left identifies the marker as being part of the South Carolina National Heritage Corridor series. It reads, "Visit our Heritage landscapes - from the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Charleston Lowcountry - and discover South
Carolina's history, people and places.
In the center of marker is a portrait of Conrad Ehrhardt, (1832-1908). Additional pictures on the marker include:
Ehrhardt's first sawmill, Ehrhardt's first General Store, Ehrhardt Memorial Lutheran Church, Ehrhardt's second train depot, and the B E & W Railroad.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia entry for Ehrhardt, SC. (Submitted on May 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. History of Ehrhardt, SC. If you have ever been to Ehrhardt, South Carolina, you’ll notice that we live a slower paced lifestyle, and it’s almost like going back in time. Everyone knows everyone else and there’s always a friendly hand waving as you pass them in the street. The town of Ehrhardt itself is located in Bamberg County, and there are many outlying farms and properties encompassing what is considered Ehrhardt. It has been there since 1860, so has a rich and diverse history. (Submitted on July 20, 2010, by Martha Clayton Banfield of Bamberg, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2019. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,630 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 3. submitted on July 20, 2010, by Martha Clayton Banfield of Bamberg, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture of the dam on Moccasin Branch, reported by the marker as still standing. • Can you help?