Rome in Oneida County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Visiting Officers’ Lodging
Fort Stanwix National Monument
Regiments were posted to the fort anywhere from four months to two years. As companies moved in and out of the fort, a space like this served as temporary lodging for the officers of a newly arriving regiment. Such space also housed officers visiting the fort on official business.
“Capt. Gregg, being much Recovered of his Wounds, set off for Albany. Same Day Arrived Capt. Swartout, Lieuts. Diefendorf, Ball, Welch, McClellan, Bowen, Oatrander and Colbreath & Ensign Denniston, with a Number of Recruits for the Regiment.”
Journal of William Colbrath, July 19th, 1777
Erected by National Park Service.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts and Castles. A significant historical date for this entry is July 19, 1777.
Location. 43° 12.631′ N, 75° 27.308′ W. Marker is in Rome, New York, in Oneida County. Marker can be reached from Black River Blvd. (New York State Route 26), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located inside Fort Stanwix. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 E Park Street, Rome NY 13440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Suttler (here, next to this marker); Artillerymen (here, next to this marker); Missionary’s Quarters (here, next to this marker); Soldiers’ Quarters: Barracks Building (a few steps from this marker); Junior Officers’ Quarters (a few steps from this marker); Soldiers’ Quarters: Casemate (a few steps from this marker); Family Quarters (a few steps from this marker); Commandant’s Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rome.
More about this marker. A picture on the marker depicts several officers and their aides in the Visiting Officers’ Quarters.
Also see . . . Fort Stanwix National Monument. National Park Service website. (Submitted on August 6, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 285 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 6, 2014, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.